Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Review: The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway. New York: Collier Books/MacMillan Publishing, 1987  (first published 1952). 127 pp.
Rating: Decent

**Note: The following below are my initial thoughts upon completing the Old Man and the Sea and is not intended to be a "review" per se. 

Goodreads Summary: An epic battle between an old, experienced fisherman (Santiago) and a giant marlin said to be the largest catch of his life.

"But the old man always thought of her as feminine and as something that gave or withheld great favours, and if she did wild or wicked things it was because she could not help them. The moon affects her as it does a woman, he thought" (30).

In my attempt to close my classics book gap, I picked up my copy of The Old Man and the Sea. To be such a short book, it seemed so long and boredom quickly came upon me. Throughout many of the old man's conversations with himself, I began to imagine the life of a fisherman. He who knows the ins and outs of the sea. He who develops a relationship with its creatures. He who appreciates the beauty of all its life forms and the sea itself, but will never be able to tame its unpredictable nature. He who understands the danger of the vocation, yet is drawn to "her" (as Santiago would say) alluring call.


Although I hoped for a better resolution, I found within the pages of this novella an old fisherman whose tenacious nature pulled him out to sea each day despite unsuccessful outings months at a time. However, I must admit, Santiago is a shark-killing, badass old man.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting at first, but once boredom hit, the book would hit the shelf. Power to you the going where I wouldn't dare go. To the end of a book that doesn't hold my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My disclaimer on the sidebar, "Guilty As Charged," says it all.

      Delete

I love comments! Please share your thoughts with me.