Sunday, April 6, 2014

Review: Rush (The Game #1) by Eve Silver

Eve Silver. New York: Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins, 2013. Ebook.
Rating: Worthy + 🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙

Gaming: Is it innocent fun or possible death?


Miki is one of many teenagers snatched unwillingly and drafted unknowingly into a war against the Drau. In a burst of light, these monstrous metallic-eyed beasts attack. With one look into their eyes, the extraterritorial beings kill...draining all life out of the body. Lacking a reset, revive, or multi-lives button, the outcome is detrimental to survival. For the actions in the game aren't sequestered in that realm alone,but transcends to the parallel dimension as well. Receiving a skimpy instruction crash course, Miki must play, ready or not.   


Rush is packed with action, adventure, and romance.  Even though I'm not big on love triangles, Eve Silver does an excellent job in portraying Miki's conflicted emotions. It's believable and not full of angst. I found the reverse play on light and dark intriguing. The enemy draped in light avoids the dark weapon created to extinguish it. Despite understanding Miki's need for control, her compulsion for information grated on my nerves. Screaming "nooo!" at the dramatic conclusion, I could've thrown my laptop across the room. Hoping to connect with Miki in book two, I'm eager to read more about the Game.

Recommended for grades 9-12 due to language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please share your thoughts with me.